Friday, May 08, 2009

My personal reflection:

I like reading maps, looking at it, examining the details, the roads, the landmarks. I am fascinated to see the big picture, to see where I am in relation to certain destinations, places. It also allows me to see a world bigger than "my world." And it makes me consider that at that precise moment so many things are also happening to other people, in other places, in other parts of the world.

When you look at maps, it would seem as though things are static. The reality though is every second, something is happening, something is changing, something is moving: street names may have been changed already, a certain road may have been closed, a part of a town may have already been wiped out by natural calamities. As the saying goes, the only thing constant is change. And yet, maps are still useful to show us the way, however imperfect, however inaccurate it can be. How much more a map which is ever constant, ever faithful, ever true?

Jesus is the map for our lives. It is amazing how the meaning of "mapping" can also be equated to "planning", when you map out something, it means you also planned it out. Jesus has already mapped out for us, planned out for us the life we should live.

I thought before, following Jesus is something "limiting." He is God, he is perfect. It is hard to follow him. I cannot live the life he lived. And yet, when I consider that Jesus' life is more like a map that I can refer to, which can guide me, it makes me more free. I am free to make the journey my own, more personal, more suited to my abilities. I follow as I can. And he continues to encourage me along the way. Sure, there are obstacles, road blocks ahead but I can always refer to the map again for detours, alternate routes. These may have slowed me down to getting closer to my destination but slowly and surely I am getting there. And besides, he is not pressuring me. Instead, he wants me to enjoy the journey, he wants me to be familiar with the map, with the landmarks, with the way. In every wrong turn I may have committed was a lesson to be learned, and the certainty that the next road will be the right one.

Jesus is the map. He has already mapped out everything for us. It is just a matter of using the map to our advantage.

Do you have your own reflection for today's reading? Feel free to share with us.

No comments: